Dentistry/Tooth extraction

Hi I have had my first molar out on my lower left side 1 week ago, during the extraction the tooth broke and was quite difficult to extract, I had stitches in my gum as well, the site of the extraction looks like it is healing quite well, I have had no bleeding from it at all, and the pain seems to have almost tone from the extraction site, I have however in the last 4-5 days deleved a swelling underneath my tongue on the same side as my extraction, it is at the point where my gum meets the floor of my mouth (I have a little flap type on both side normally) not sure if these are the salivary glands or not, anyway it is getting quite large at the moment and be quite painful, I am taking an anti inflamitarty but it is still there, do you think it could be an infection? You help would be much appreciated to put my mind to rest.

Thank you

Dear Sorren,
would be pleased to help, but at this distance it is too hard for me to even guess at a diagnosis.
If it were an infection you would have a fever, and the swelling would continue to increase.
If it is a salivary duct blockage the swelling would continue to increase.
Ir it is trauma to soft tissue during the removal of the tooth, it will subside and go away in a few days.
I do not believe that the anti-inflamatory pills will help.
My best advice is if the problem continues your best bet is to have a health professional do an examination.
Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
All the best
Dr. Moss

Stephen J. Moss

I am a professor emeritus at New York University, with a background that includes extensive research, scientific writing and biology. I also am an international consultant in health education, particularly in developing education on new science for health professionals and consumers. I am a past president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, former head of the NYU Division of Oral Biology and I represent the World Dental Federation at the United Nations. I travel around the world to provide health education to professionals and consumers.

Having retired from New York Universit, where I directed the pediatric dentistry training program, a walk-in dental clinic and research on oral biology, I formalized my professional and consumer health education initiative in the form of Health Education Enterprises. This entity consults and provides information on new science pertaining to oral and general health, particularly leading edge concepts that can be employed in the health professions to improve the public's health. As such, I am an expert in communicating new science and its usefulness to professional and lay audiences alike. I also had a pediatric dentistry practice in New York City for nearly 30 years.

I am affiliated with the American Dental Association, the World Dental Federation, the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry among other formal organizations. My experience has included a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and work at the Forsythe Dental Research Center

lpha Omegan USA, Nowa Stomatologia Poland, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, The Journal of the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry USA, News Bulletin Japan, Journal of Marmara University Dental Faculty Turkey, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry Italy, Asian Dentist Singapore, The Journal of the Israel Dental Association Israel, ROBRAC Brazil, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Italy, FDI World, STOMA Portugal, Pediatric Dentistry The Philippines, Modern Stomatology Bulgaria, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry India

I obtained a doctor of dental science (DDS) degree, a master of science degree and am a board certified pediatric dentist.