Dentistry/abcess tooth in extreme pain

Question
hi i have a abcess tooth i went to er and they gave me clydimicin ive havent been ale to get the script filled thers a red bump and a white bump ibroprofen does not help pain and salt water makes it worse numbing with ice in my mouth only works but now its wearing off its grown a tolerence my question is if i go to free clinic will they pull it infected? i just want it out

Answer
Anna -  It all depends on the clinic.  Each clinic in each area has different rules.  My suggestion is that you call them first.  If you live in or near a large city in Pennsylvania - like Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, they have dental schools and dental residency programs where they should be able to help you.  Some free clinics will also extract teeth.  You have nothing to lose.  By the way, even though the ice feels better, it allows the infection to grow.  You need to do the warm salt water for about 5 minutes, 4-5 times a day and even though it hurts and probably throbs, it will promote spontaneous drainage and make it feel a lot better.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired