I had a re-treatment of a root canal on my front tooth and the one be side it a root canal. Three weeks after the treatment gums were swollen, I went back to see my endodontist He then performed a apicoectomy. It has been three weeks now still numbness in gums and some pressure were abscess was located. I am wondering should I go ahead and have my crown put on or wait to see if my symptoms improve. I have also been experiencing some pain in my ear and neck could this be related and should I be concerned. Thank you for your reply.

Hi Jeana,

I'm sorry that things aren't working well for least not at this point. Since it's been 3 weeks and you still are having some symptoms, I would not go ahead with the crown yet. The tooth should really be completely comfortable. It's very unlikely that putting on a crown will make things better. I would suggest that you call the endodontist back, explain what you are feeling, and ask for help. At 3 weeks, things should be feeling pretty good.

I also feel that your neck pain is probably not related, but it is possible that your tooth pain could be referred to your ear...we see this sometimes, but it is quite rare.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.