Dentistry/Broken crown

Question
I was chewing on some nuts and heard a popping sound. My bottom crowned molar was loose.
I then yanked it off, it came off neatly, but there is a metal pin protuding out of my gum.
There is no open socket, and the gum  area has no  pain. I'm assuming  I must of had a root
Canal on this tooth because of the lack of pain.  I feel like I need to pull this pin out before
The gum completely  covers it. The crown that came off also has the decayed tooth in it along
With the rest of the pin pointing downward. Does that mean the root is still intact. Should that come out?
Or  could it cause other issues?

Answer
Hello. After reading your question, I would say that you are most likely correct to assume that this tooth has had a root canal. The metal pin is called a post. It was placed to give the broken down tooth extra support under the crown. When a root canal is done, the roots remain, only the nerve is removed, so your roots are still there, under the gums. With the extent of decay that you have described, I think it is safe to assume that this tooth is no longer restorable. You need to have this tooth extracted by a surgeon before it becomes infected. Removing the post can cause a disruption to the root system, and cause an immediate infection, so I would not suggest removing it on your own.
This is not a routine extraction! Please seek out the help of an oral surgeon to properly remove the broken root fragments.
I hope that I have answered your question fully. Have a nice evening.

Dentistry

Marielaina Perrone DDS