Dentistry/cavity/root canal after fillings?

Question
hi. how can you get a cavity after a tooth filling? is it because the tooth filling wasn't place in correctly or the tooth was cracked? would this cause your tooth to be extracted? and how can you need a root canal after a tooth fillings? thanks

Answer
Dear beth,

Picture a pothole in the street.  The workers fill it with asphalt to level and smooth the road.  Then traffic and weather begins to break up the asphalt "filling".  After some years of wear and temperature change (hot foods to cold ice cream), a filling can begin to break down, and its seal to the tooth surface can open up and begin to allow saliva and food particles to leak into the broken seal.  This is the beginning of re-decay around a filling.  Sometimes a tooth filling may be placed incorrectly, and this can be the cause of re-decay.  If the filling has lasted longer than 2 years before becoming re-decayed, it was probably placed correctly.  Some teeth just do not hold up well due to weak, porous enamel, which allows decay to re-form quickly.  And, of course, lots of sweets and acidy foods will promote re-decay.

A tooth that is cracked is another story.  Cracked tooth can be another cause for re-decay or for needing a root canal and crown.  Some cracked teeth must be extracted because the crack is in a place that makes the tooth unrestorable.

Sometimes when decay is very deep, the bacteria that cause the decay can travel to the nerve of the tooth and begin to cause it to be infected.  You may not feel this infection at first.  But the trauma of removing the decay and replacing it with filling might cause it to become irritated and painful.  Studies have shown that, under the best of conditions, about 3-4% of teeth that are treated will end up needing a root canal.

I hope this answered all your questions.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO