Dentistry/changing bite

Question
To summarize, I bite so hard that I wear down my teeth. My back teeth have been refilled with fillings more than 4 times each (in the last 8 years), I just keep wasting them away. I have used a bite guard for years and that only seems to slow the process down a little. The more concerning thing is that my front teeth are nearly down to the dentin as well. I want to do something before I need major care.

So my dentist is suggesting that she takes the crowns  (one on each side) that I have and replaces them (just a year or two from needing replacement anyway) and she will raise my bite by replacing them higher than they currently are.

Do you know anything about this idea or have some thoughts about this approach?

Answer
Worn dentition is a common problem that need to be addressed by an experienced dentist, or preferably, a prosthodontist.
The treatment might include crowns on all your teeth to stabilize the occlusion. Even after that is done a protective bite guard is needed to protect these crowns even if it means having one every year.

Hope this answers your question.
Dr. Elsafi

Dentistry

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP