Dentistry/crown to bite change

Question
To summarize, I bite so hard that I wear down my teeth. My back teeth have been refilled with fillings more than 4 times each (in the last 8 years), I just keep wasting them away. I have used a bite guard for years and that only seems to slow the process down a little. The more concerning thing is that my front teeth are nearly down to the dentin as well. I want to do something before I need major care.

So my dentist is suggesting that she takes the crowns  (one on each side) that I have and replaces them (just a year or two from needing replacement anyway) and she will raise my bite by replacing them higher than they currently are.

Do you know anything about this idea or have some thoughts about this approach?

Answer
Hi Chris,

One of the most frustrating things about being an AllExperts Volunteer, is writing a long wordy answer, sending it, and then something goes wrong, and it needs to be re-sent.  In your case, it is actually a blessing, because it has given me a chance to re-think your question and reply in a more concise way.

Your letter concerns me.  The rate at which your Bruxism is wearing down your teeth is obviously something that needs to be addressed rather quickly.  And yes, I have heard of the term "raising your bite."

Now comes the more "concise" answer for you......IF IT WERE ME......I would find a Oral and Maxillofacial Dentist or Surgeon who does TMJ cases on a ongoing bases to review my case.  This would be preferable to a general Dentist who cleans teeth one day, fills a cavity the next, and then maybe does a crown or two the day after that.

The reason I want you to see a "TMJ Expert" is that from my experience as a PATIENT, one of the things they need to be really good at is fabricating bite/night guards.  Any Dentist, can take impressions, send it off to the lab, and make you a night guard.  That is easy.  But I have found that fitting a Night Guard for a Patient, is also an art form.  When the lab returns that piece of acrylic to your dentist to do the fitting, I would prefer the person who does this task as part of their primary work.  When the Dentist uses that buzzing tool (not sure of the real name) to shape and fit your new appliance, it is a challenge to get the balance just right.....and sometimes requires follow-up visits for additional adjustments.  And again.....if it were me, I want the person whose primary job is working with TMJ patients.

"Raising your bite" can also have other unexpected consequences.  When you change the symmetry of your bite, it can affect your TMJ Joints, or even cause a shift in the delicate balance of your facial muscles.  I don't know your dentist, and for all I know, she is probably well aware of all of these issues, but these are just some things to think about.  Talk to your Dentist.  She may even know a specialist that you can talk to that can do the actual work.

I wish you well in finding a solution to prevent your Bruxism and preserve the health of your original teeth.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble