I'v been seeing my general dentist for 2yrs.  I Feel comfortable with her and I think she does good work (as far as I can tell).  She's been working an tooth #19 for almost one full year.  She sent me to and Endo specialist for a root canel, and a Periodontist specialist to build more tooth(something lethening) for the work that she needs to finish. Putting a crown on #19.  Well I've already payed out of pocket over $1500,  my insurance covered $1200.   Now my dentist quit her practice for maternity leave (which is fine).  The practice hired another dentist to take her place and finish with the rest of her patients.  This new dentist is not very kind, and makes it very well known that he doesnt want to finish the job.  I already paid for everything and now just need it to be crowned (I shouldnt owe any more for the same tooth shes been working on for one year).  My last vist with this new dentist was torcherouse, I left the office crying and sick for two weeks with sinus issues and throat issues from the medicine he used to stop bleeding. He was yelling at his assistant saying "she wont stop bleeding I can't do anything if she's going to keep bleeding, resx her to come back for another day when she's not bleeding".  Now mind you he's saying all this to his assistant like i'm not even their in a strong assertive manner. I left the office upset, crying, but still made the follow up appt.  cxed the appt because I could not get my self to be torchered any more. Its been two monthes and my temporary crown fell out not to sure where to go from here. Any advise

Torchered in Denver

Dear Sandy:
I am so sad to hear of your ordeal.  However, you DO NOT have to go to this dentist.  Screaming at a staff member, especially in front of a patient is extremely unprofessional.  It IS NOT your fault that the gums were bleeding.  If he does not know how to handle it, he should not be treating you.  There are ways to handle the bleeding without making you uncomfortable.  Sometimes, if bleeding cannot be stopped.  It can be due to an improperly fitting temporary crown, or even if it is due to poor oral hygiene on your part, the dentist should know what to do.  I have sent patient home for two weeks and have their teeth cleaned PRIOR to taking an impression.  That is a simple and effective way to handle it and it creates a compliant patient and a clean mouth.
Since you have paid for some, or most of the work, you have to talk to the dentist, or the owner of the practice and voice your concern.  By a peaceful talk, you might be able to resolve the situation, and maybe even get some of your money back.  However, you might want to contact your former dentist and ask for her advise.  If the temporary crown is good, it can be re-cemented and you can wait for her return.  However, that really depends on the quality of the temporary restoration and I cannot evaluate that.
If non of that works, I always advise to go and see the specialist, a Prosthodontist.  You have spent lots of time, effort and money with root canal treatment, crown lengthening etc. and to get an improperly fitting crown is just throwing all that work away. will have a link to a Prosthodontist near you.
In short, try dialogue with the owner or the current dentist.  If you do not get resolution, take yourself to a dentist that cares and can deliver the excellent work you deserve and expect.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.