Dentistry/Discomfort after placement of permenent crown

Question
Hi -
I had a per crown placed yesterday. The area, or the tooth, is aching a bit. Not really sensitive to hot or cold, just a dull ache. The gum is a little swollen. Is this normal? Will it go away in a week? My dentist said the tooth is alive and well.

Thanks,
April

Answer
Hi April,

I will preface this answer with "I am not a dentist, but..." I would have to imagine that some aching is a routine occurrence after putting in a new crown.  Or maybe even any kind of invasive dental procedure for that matter.

Maybe give a day or two to see what happens.  If the aching persists, definitely go in to your dentist, just so he/she can have a look at you.

My guess is you are probably ok, but you lose nothing by having your dentist look inside your mouth just to make sure.  Also ask what time of pain medication you can take.

Best Regards
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble