Dentistry/Endless tooth problems after having twins.

Question
I have been having endless tooth problems since I gave birth to and breast fed my (now 18 month old) twins. I have had two single children before (10 and 6 years old) and did not have any such effect after having them. I am 40 years old and had a lot of fillings in my teeth in my early teens and then in the following 20 years I don't think I have had any, except a couple of silver fillings failing and being replaced.

Now I am in constant pain with my top back teeth, 3 on each side. I have been back and forth from the dentist for the past 18 months and had the dentist practically drill out the whole centre of two back teeth to access and fill a cavity between the teeth. Then there have been problems on the other side with another filling on the front side of the tooth. My dentist was going to do a root canal on my top back left tooth but when she drilled into it she said it was not worth doing as it was too far gone and it should come out. My top right 3rd from the back is fine most of the time but if I eat some things (eg: a crunchy raw snow pea or a tough bit of chicken or especially chewing gum) it is a sharp, all encompassing pain that lasts for at least an hour or two. It can be accompanied by a horrible taste like blood or pus. Sometimes my gums feel infected and hurt when I suck or push them with my tongue. The pains in different teeth can be set off by eating hot or cold things, chocolate or even a snowy day.

Sometimes I am in so much pain I would happily have them all taken out!

I brush my teeth twice every day without fail but am a little irregular with flossing. I go to the dentist for check ups every 6 months and lately I am at the dentist so often I think they might charge me rent. They try to fix something but I am just in more pain somewhere else. They do digital x-rays but can't identify any more problems.

Do you think this is connected to having and feeding the twins? Have you ever come across something similar in your years as a dentist? Is there anything I can do to end the pain and save my teeth?

Thank you for your time, I'm sorry my question is so long!
Best regards
Bianca

Answer
Dear Bianca,

Sorry to hear about your constant teeth pain.  Let's see if I can help.

I appears to me that, like most moms, after you had your children, you gave your life to them, rather than setting aside some mommy time for yourself.  And your dentist.

Usually with teeth, pain is the price you pay for neglect.  They want and need your attention now.  And they tend to shout for it.

The teeth that are giving you pain will likely need root canals and crowns.

If you cannot afford this now, or don't want to go through the time and expense now, and you don't mind being without these teeth for now, have them removed.

But before you do, talk to your dentist about how he proposes to replace them later.  Bridges or implants and crowns should be his answer.  He should describe both procedures to you in great detail.  Or you can go to NobHillDentalCenter.com and click on Dental Videos, then on the procedures you might be interested in.  You can watch several short videos that should enlighten.

Let me know what you do, and how it turns out for you.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO