Dentistry/Face numbness from abscess

Hello, I have been to a regular dentist and he said I have to have tooth 18 & 19 surgically cut out. I made the appointment on the 28th of this month (Feb). 1 of these teeth is broke, and infected, the other has a abscess. I am on amoxicillin.  
My question to you is about 3 days ago my face and chin area went numb, I am assuming this is because of a nerve?? Will this go away? Is this something I should be concerned about? Thank you for your help.

Robbie -  If the infection from the teeth has affected the nerve, it is important to have the teeth extracted only by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  Any excess trauma to an already inflamed nerve can produce a better chance of permanent numbness.  So those teeth need to be extracted with the least amount of trauma by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  

After the extraction and the source of the nerve trauma is removed, the numbness should go away.  So you need to be concerned and have the extractions done with the least amount of trauma.  If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude