Dentistry/Filling Keeps Falling Out

I have a filling at the outer side and rear side of tooth #28. I have no adult tooth #29 so there is a space there. The filling on #28 is at the base line or gum line. It was originally put in 9/2011. Then it fell out and was replaced on 4/2012. It has now fallen out again - 2/2013. The dentist has told me it is because all teeth wear down at the gumline and that this one due to no tooth next to it and tooth #5 impacting upon it with every bite, that the filling will not stay in place. Is that true? He also suggested getting a dental implant on that tooth to resolve the problem. That sounds a bit drastic for a tooth that is otherwise in good shape and doesn't cause me any problems. I wonder if it is the dentist's skill level, or material that he is using. I look forward to your comments.

Hi Chris,

I am sorry to hear about this.

If the tooth on top is hyper-erputed, this can cause the filling to get excessive force on it and may contribute to it falling out. I don't know if that is 100% the cause of the problem, but it can be a part of the problem.

Has your dentist ever tried adjusting the opposing tooth so it's exerting less force on the restored tooth?

In regards to the implant, if you are missing a tooth, then you do want to replace it. Otherwise, (as you know), the other teeth shift and become unstable. Nowadays, a dental implant is generally the best option. So yes, recommending a dental implant is not a bad idea.

I hope this helps somewhat!  

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR