Dentistry/Fistula / Root Canal

Question
I have a fistula which is (sometimes) visible and ( sometimes )drains pus. My dentist says it traces back to a small pocket around the root of one of my front teeth. A root canal is recommended. Why can't the infection be treated through the fistula rather that doing a root canal ? There is no pain.

Answer
the fistula is present to drain out pressure/infection from that infected root. you need to get all of the dead tissue out of those roots in order for the body to totally heal that area. it is the best way to treat this. now are there any alternatives? if you cannot instrument the canals, you can do something called apical surgery. you can seal the roots from the tips. but that involves pulling the gum away and getting to the tips of the root through the bone. doing conventional root canal is much easier on you, the patient. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Dentistry

Jeff Dalin DDS