Had the (R) back bottom molar extracted because it was fractured irreparable. After the extraction, my jaw was extremely painful. I noticed a white area and gum was raw, inflamed, and appeared as if ulcerations were surrounding the gum where the truth was extracted. Eventually discovered it was bone protruding through the gum untoward my tongue, and another bearing up through the gum where the upper/lower jaw meet. My mouth is killing me, it hurts non-stop and I have been on two different antibiotics, oral gel daily, and kenalog in orabase every day with lortabl Q 4hrs.....still no relief. Should I have the gum fracture seen by a specialist, or continue with the weekly visits to the dentist?.....I can't stand the pain much longer, it's radiating up to my temple and down my neck my whole jaw..with a huge knot. Please help...

Ryna -  Immediately make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  There are a number of different possible causes of the pain you are having and most dentists are not equiped or knowledgeable to handle it.  So immediately make an appointment to get evaluated.  

If for some reason you cannot find a surgeon, you can get back to me, tell me where you live and I can send you a list of board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons.  Either way have yourself examined immediately.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude