Dentistry/Is it good to do RCT and crown under GA for 3 years old baby? Please advise

Hi Mr. Dr.,

The below is the mail which was sent by the pediatric Dentist to whom we have consulted for my daughter, Please have a look.
My daughter is just 3 years old and please advise the below procedure is safe and good for her. Kindly let me know if you require any more details from my side.

This baby requires root canal treatment and crowns on 5  decayed teeth (54, 64,74,84 & 85), without which her masticatory function, and thereby , nutrition would be disturbed badly.  These teeth are functionally very important. She also requires extraction of four upper front teeth, as these cannot be treated otherwise and their replacement is necessary for proper speech development for psychological development.
         This procedure has to be done under general anesthesia, and requires hospitalization for a day.

Without actually examining your daughter I cannot determine exactly what dental treatment is necessary.  I can, however, tell you that in the case of a 3 year old with severe tooth decay and tooth damage it is necessary to remove teeth that cannot be saved and to also save teeth that require restoration.  This often requires root canal treatment and crowns.  A three year old will not be acquiring permanent teeth for at least another three years to eight years so it's important to save as many teeth as possible.  Frequently this treatment can be best accomplished in the hospital under general anesthesia in a single treatment session.  The risk to the child can be minimal if there are no complicating health problems, and the child is under the supervision of qualified medical and dental practitioners.  Following the removal of the four upper incisors it is often recommended to replace the missing teeth with a pedi-partial appliance to aid in proper speech development and to help with psychological development.
It appears to me that there is nothing unusual with the treatment plan provided by the pediatric dentist.

Dr. Randolph Myerson

Please limit your inquiry to questions about orthodontics (braces) and children's dentistry. I am both an Orthodontist and a Pediatric Dentist, having been trained in both of these dental specialty fields. Orthodontics is the dental specialty that treats problems of tooth, bite and jaw alignment using braces and removable appliances. Pediatric Dentistry is the dental specialty also known as dentistry for children, which deals specifically with the dental problems of this special age group from infants to adolescents. I am also experienced in Forensic Dentistry, the application of dentistry to law enforcement and identification using dental records.

I have been in the private practice of orthodontics and pediatric dentistry for over 20 years. Prior to that I served for three years on the Cleft Palate and Cranio-facial Reconstruction team at Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia and was an Assistant Professor of Dentistry at University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. I also served as a dentist in the U.S.Air Force, stationed at Andrews AFB in Washington, DC.

I am a Fellow in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and a member of the American Association of Orthodontics, as well as a member of the American Dental Association and the Dental Society of the State of New York.

I received my BA in Biology from Frankin & Marshall College in 1969, and my dental degree from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1973. In 1978 I received both my Certificate in Orthodontics from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, and my Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry from Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia after completing a three year Teaching Fellowship in Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry in 1978.