Dentistry/Hit Tooth

Hello, I was hit just above one of my teeth today. The tooth isn't loose, but if i put pressure on it I get a sharp pain. The pain has gotten sightly better in the past few hours, but the pain still persist. I am worried that I may have damaged the root and fear my tooth changing color. I know you can not diagnose this without a xray but is there is there reason for me to worry if the tooth is not loose or the pain gets better in the next day or so? Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry you had this happen. It's hard to tell if you have a serious problem or just a bruised tooth/gum area. When teeth are hit with a lot of force, many things can happen from nothing, all the way to events jeopardizing the tooth. The best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to call your dentist and get in for an examination and Xray. It may be for nothing, but if you have a fracture in the root or the pulp of the tooth has been affected, you will be glad you went in. Even if the pain improves, it doesn't mean all is well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.