Dentistry/Impacted molar

Question
I am 57 years old. I recently moved to a different area and have a new dentist. I am having trouble trusting the new dentist as she is recommending I have my Rt impacted molar removed. It lays mostly sideways under the skin facing the front. The very last molar on the upper right has a large filling which she wants to place a crown on but she says she cannot do that without having the impacted molar surgically removed. At this time, even though that tooth does has a large filling it is not cracked or painful. I would rather have a crown on it but I do not want surgery. I told her there is no problem with it now but if it becomes a problem I would rather just have it pulled then have the impacted molar surgically removed. Then she said it couldn't be pulled either because of the impacted molar. I don't understand the connection. I saw the xrays ( I am an xray tech) and the impacted tooth is not touching that last molar. No previous dentist has ever suggested I have this impacted molar removed.Should I continue to search for a different dentist? I hate to disagree with her.

Answer
Dear Renee:

Search for a different dentist.  I get calls for second opinions all the time.  And I'm sure my patients who disagree with my treatment recommendations take my recommendations for a second opinion.

Never be afraid to find a dentist who might be in agreement with your first dentist (the one who was not worried about your wisdom tooth).  When there is a difference of opinion provided by two equally qualified professionals, YOU get to choose between their recommendations.

Let me know what you find out.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO