Dentistry/Mucocele damage

Question
Having read most of the Mucocele post-op responses, I can't remember seeing any questions that asked followup after 12-18 months. I had a mucocele on my bottom lip removed about 18 months ago and had most the the symptoms described by the other inquirers--numbness, swelling, discomfort, etc. So, I waited to ask a question, hoping that with time, it would heal. After a year and a half, the area where the mucocele was extracted is still red and often becomes sore in cold weather, it often splits even when using lip moisturizer, it has a noticeable indentation (like a crater and many people have noticed and asked about it), it STILL tingles from time to time and is unpleasant. I just assumed these were the consequences I would have to accept. Are these kinds of prolonged problems common? Are there any

I'm asking now, after so long because I just woke up with another mucocele on the OTHER side of my bottom lip and am not sure if I could handle these issue on both sides or in two places.

Answer
Dear Derek

The kinds of postoperative problems you describe, while not common, are known risks of surgical procedures. You may want to take both your problems and your new mucoceles to a university-affiliated teaching hospital that may have solutions to all your issues.  

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO