Dentistry/Post-root canal treatment pain

I received root canal treatment on the first bicuspid of my left side on Monday. The tooth was infected and had an abscess but the Dr said that it drained well. He pack the tooth with antibiotics and put temporary filler in it and we made another appointment in 3 weeks to finish. He prescribed a course of amoxicillin & vicodin for pain. I had some mild discomfort but the vicodin helped and the antibiotics seem to be doing their job. Since Thursday night I have experienced extreme pain in the tooth and into the sinus passage. The whole side of my face feels tender. I've been careful about not chewing on that side but am afraid I did something to crack the tooth. The Dr told me it already had several cracks in it.  

It's Saturday and I'm due to go out of town but am not sure what I should do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Gina,

I'm sorry all this is going on. It's hard for me to really help since I don't know exactly what we're dealing with. It certainly sounds like the infection is getting worse and leaving  town may not be a great idea unless you will just be gone for a short time.

At this point, I would suggest you call your dentist, explain what is going on and ask for help. You may need to be seen or maybe just change or increase your antibiotics. All dentists these days have an after hours contact phone number or answering service designed for patients, like you, to get help. Please call ASAP. Your dentist will know what might be going on and be able to help.

Good luck!

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.