Dentistry/root canal

Question
I had a root canal on the tooth next to canine about 5 years ago and I have put off getting the tooth crowned because days after the root canal I notice a white hard bump on my gum in the area under cheek bone(it was/is sensitive to the touch) and a black spot that someone told me was tattooing. There is not pain nor sensitivity to hot or cold but something is not right with the tooth it's almost like there is something there that shouldn't be. I don't want to get it crowned and then find out I should have done things differently. What/Who should be my next step?

Answer
Hi Jannie,

I'm sorry you're having this trouble, but you are VERY smart to try to solve things before going any farther!

At this point, I think you need a good diagnosis to see what, if anything, is going on and if there is a problem, what can be done to solve it. Because of that, I would suggest that you get an examination by an endodontist. We have advanced training not only in diagnosing problems, but also fixing them. If the root canal would need to be done over, for instance, that is often beyond the expertise of most general dentists. Once you know what is going on you will be able to make a good decision about how to proceed.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD