You are here:

Dentistry/root canal tooth extraction


Hello I have a abcess on my gum And i went to the dentist and had xrays found out it was abcess and it was from a tooth that had a root canal done About 20 years ago Will i  be e ok wants i have this tooth pulled or will it give me problems   I how do there pulled this  if i  don't have a oral surgery do  I'm just having it pulled in dentist office Thank you Carolyn

Carolyn - Extracting the tooth should resolve the whole problem.  A general dentist should be able to remove the tooth, but if not, that doctor should be able to refer you to another doctor who can extract it.  

I hope it all goes well.  Most general dentists can extract teeth like you describe.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Awards and Honors
National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude

©2017 All rights reserved.