Dentistry/Root Canal Treatment

Had a small filling done on tooth #14 after which it became sensitive to heat and cold. Dentist said I needed a root canal.
Proceeded with the root canal but dentist could only do one of four roots as the other roots were calcified. He did not fill the completed canal with gutta percha. He put a temporary filling in and told me to go to a endodontist. The tooth is now fine and no longer has any sensitivity. Do I need to proceed with the three remaining canals or would it be possible to complete the original canal and put in regular filing.

Robert -  Absolutely you need to follow up with the endodontist to finish the root canal treatment.  If not, the nerve of the tooth that was cut to start the root canal will breakdown and possibly become infected.  So don't wait.  Make an appointment with the endodontist before the problem begins - and it will.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude