Dentistry/Soft Permanent Liner

Question
QUESTION: Dr. Is a soft permanent liner for a lower metal partial a good idea to have put in by a general dentist, so that my partial could be raised up so that I can chew food better. My partial has sunken down, and I seem to be over chewing my food to compensate the problem. It is hard for a dentist to adjust them? I cannot afford implants right now, and I am hoping for a solution. Thanks Alot!

ANSWER: Dear Carol:
The idea is a good one and partial dentures should be periodically relined, since they do loose stability over time.  The question is why a soft reline.  The soft reline does not last too long.  It absorbs saliva and smells.  It is better to have a proper hard reline done.  It will give your denture longevity.  Any dentist should be able to perform this for you.  If you want to go to an expert on this, you can always goto www.gotoapro.org and locate a prosthodontist near you.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

QUESTION: Because I have a lot of lower bone loss, and  The dentist said a soft permanent reline would add bulk to my partial, so that it would be raised up , so I won't be overchewing my food to compenssate. He said since this is a brand new partial and it has already sunken down after a month, my only hope would be to have a soft permanent reline.

Answer
Dear Carol,
Sorry for the delay.  I am unfortunately not able to evaluate the work.  However, as I said, I prefer a hard reline.  The best thing to do is to go for a second opinion from a Prosthodontist, the specialist in this area.  www.gotoapro.org will have a link to a Prosthodontist near you.  Since I cannot examine you, go and see one of my colleague for a proper opinion.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.