Dentistry/teeth problem

QUESTION: hi sir

hope u r in good health and mood
i am 42 years old guy. my problem is that my all teeth are moving and look very week. front two teeth have gone already. i visited a dentist but he told me he could do nothing as my gums are very week and i need to go to a specialist who might treat my gums and do the needful to strenghten it or so.
please help me as i have no such doctor near my city.
thanks a lot

ANSWER: Hello Nasir,

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with your teeth.  I don't think this is something that you can treat on your own.  You must see a professional.

I had this idea that I would find you a Periodontist in your town of Ash Sharqiyah, Saudi Arabia, but had no such luck. Google Maps would not even show your town on the map.  So instead I am going to offer you the best advice I can from half a world away.

You need to find a Board Certified Periodontist to look at your teeth and gums.  Use the internet to try and find a Dentist close to you.  Which is the biggest city near Ash Sharqiyah?

Good luck in your search.

Best Regards,
Patient Point of View

QUESTION: i m in city of Dammam, Saudi arabia. if u can recommend any doctor.

thanks a lot for your quick and positive response.

I actually spent quite a bit of time on Google trying to track down a dentist in Dammam.

I was not able to find the name for you, but do have a link to a list of medical and health directories in Dammam.  See link below.

Since I am half a world away, I am going to ask you to call the clinics listed in these directories.  Network, ask questions, find the person who is familiar with the dental community in your area. If possible look for someone who is a Board Certified Periodontist.  If you can't find a Periodontist, then look for a Board Certified Dentist.

Good luck.

Best Regards,
Patient Point of View

Jonathan at PatientBabble

My area of expertise from the patients point of view would be TMJ plus the speech challenges that these jaw and bite problems sometimes represent. Over the years I have seen a multitude of dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, speech therapists, neurologists and other health professionals who all had an opinion about my bite problem. I am not a doctor, but would purely be a patients point of view type person. I "get it" when people say they tried to explain to their dentist what their bite problem is and that they are misunderstood. I can listen to people's trials and tribulations and there is a good chance I have been down that road before. I can make suggestions as to what people can do at home, or what questions to ask their doctor or dentist when they visit. ////// I come from a family of dentists. My first house growing up was one of those residential/dentist combination homes and I was around the dental practice all the time. My teeth had always been perfect, and in many respects they still are. I have never had a cavity and my teeth are straight. About 25 years ago, I had my wisdom teeth out and since then my bite has never felt "normal." I have learned a lot over the years as I tried to figure out my problem from the Dentists, Speech Pathologists and assorted doctors that I have visited. I will try and recall information or experiences that may be helpful to you.

Twenty-Five years ago after my wisdom teeth were removed, my bite did not feel right and then had trouble speaking. For whatever reason, the first sensation I remember was not that my bite was off.....but rather that my normal tongue and speech patterns had been impeded. The years of searching for proper treatment has underscored the importance of understanding the relationship between dental and speech methodologies.///// To this end, and to further my research, I recently attended the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention (ASHA) in Atlanta. At ASHA I learned about a specialty within Speech Pathology termed “Orofacial Myology”. In laymen's terms Orofacial Myology Disorder (OMD) deals with the establishment of correct functional activities of the tongue, lips and jaw. OMD is a motor speech disorder that impacts the normal flow of speech, chewing or swallowing.///// If you believe that your struggles with your teeth also present speech, chewing or swallowing challenges, you may want to seek out a licensed Speech Language Pathologist.....preferably one that has training with Orofacial Myology Disorder.

Project Management Institute

Abridged Version of a Letter I Sent to a Health Care Professional (3/14/13): "..In my early 20's I had my wisdom teeth out. Almost immediately within a few days, something did not feel right in my mouth. I had trouble speaking. When I raised my tongue to try and touch my palate, I felt mostly just teeth. It is very cumbersome to talk and my bite also became a little bit off. If feels almost as if someone put a fork in my mouth and said "now try and speak." Very difficult. My articulation is fine, so to an observer I sound normal. But it takes a monumental effort, so I hate situations like talking on the phone or when somebody asks me to "tell them a story." ..I spent years going to different dentists, who lumped me into their generic version of what they knew about TMJ. They just automatically gravitate to what they have heard about TMJ and assume I am either stressed, or just imagining it. Years later, I look back at all those dentists and doctors and I am amazed at how little they really knew about my condition. I have seen the best dentists, including my dad who is a Orthodontist in New York, to TMJ Dentists in Atlanta and Florida. No one ever suggested that Speech Pathology may be a direction I should explore. ..And I was frustrated by the fact that several MRI's over the years, showed nothing. How could the MRI’s show nothing, and at the same time, I know something does not feel right? I do wear a night guard to sleep in, but it does not fix the trouble that I have when I try to talk. ..I went with a Speech Pathologist friend of mine to the American Speech Language Hearing (ASHA) Convention last October in Atlanta...There was a Speech Pathologist at ASHA who was saying that sometimes when you have your Wisdom Teeth taken out "late" that it could possibly cause damage to the Trigeminal Nerve and surrounding muscles.” POSTSCRIPT: At ASHA, I discovered OROFACIAL MYOLOGY (OMD) which is a specialty in Speech Pathology that addresses Oral Muscular Issues.

College Graduate with Bachelor of Arts Degree, Project Management Professional, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist