Dentistry/Throbbing Jaw Pain

Question
I had my wisdom teeth removed last Thursday, January 31. On Wednesday my jaw popped very loud. Ever since then I have been experiencing severe pain on my left jaw. The pain medication hardly touches the pain. I can barely open my mouth and can only eat liquids due to the pain. I went back to the surgeon and he did a CT scan. He said he did not see a fracture and is not sure what would cause the pain. Do you have any ideas what might be going on? The pain is unbearable and I can't handle it anymore.

Answer
Kim -  Of course and exam would be more beneficial in arriving at a diagnosis of the problem, but your symptoms of pain could simply be spasms of the jaw muscles (a very common reaction after wisdom tooth extractions)or the jaw joint could have been traumatized.  For the surgeon to just leave you alone when you are in such pain is not appropriate.  

When you say you are having pain on the left jaw, where exactly is the pain?  Does it involve earache, headache in the temple, side of the face sore and possibly even neck pain?  Get back to me and let me know where the pain is exactly.  I can better then diagnose what might be producing your pain.  

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired