Dentistry/Tooth Pain

I had  a root canal on #3 then a crown put on. Once the crown was attached i started having pain.... along out side  when pressuure was  applies like my tounge pulling against it.  after shaving down  the crown, no difference...i checked  in with the endio who did my root canal ,  he too shaved the crown...My Dentist  feared a cracked root, i went to a periodontest  who took a MRI  but found no evidence of a cracked root. he did find a deep pocket out the outside of #3 and has advised i undergo a Clinic Crown Lengthen- hard tissue.... I just do not know what to do.. i certainly do not want  to loose the tooth, but am wondering if something may have gone wrong when they installed my crown? I just dont want to have another procedure for nothing....

Dear Rob,

You've certainly been through a lot with your tooth.  I really cannot answer your question with any authority without seeing you, your xrays, and being able to check your bite, the fit of the crown, and the appearance of your gums around the crown.

I can say, though, that the pain is usually due to the bite being high on the crown.  Next, there may be food catching between your gums and your teeth, or between your teeth.  I'm just guessing here, but if I were forced to bet, I would bet that it has something to do with the crown.

I wish I could help more.  But, sadly, I cannot without seeing you.

Please let me know how this turns out.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.