Dentistry/Tooth pain after root canal

Hi there
I had 6 root canal procedures on my front lower left incisor for a periodontal abscess which was found after I had my teeth whitened dentist thought I must have had abscess for around 5 years.
The tooth was sealed and root canal finished in October 2013. I now have a throbbing pain in the tooth and surrounding teeth and the lymph nodes under my jaw and neck on the left side are swollen and sore.
D you have any advice , I can't afford to go to the dentist  again still paying off previous treatments, would it be sensible to go to emergency department at hospital where I can get free treatment or wait and see what happens have a full course of amoxicillin trihidrate CA 500g should I take these?

Thank you

Dear Lydia,

I am so sorry for this delay in my response.  I usually receive a text when there is a question. I received none for yours.  My apologies.

There are several technical discrepancies in your question.  You had 6 root canal procedures in a tooth.  I do not understand this statement.  Did this tooth require 6 visits to complete your root canal?     Your root canal was completed on October 2013.  Does this mean that it is not completed yet, or that it was completed last October?     If last October, did it ever get better.  Or did the throbbing pain and swelling persist after your root canal was completed?

Having said this, I will attempt to help.  If you were my patient, I would immediately place you on antibiotics for the swelling and throbbing.  At the same time, I would check to see of other teeth in the area are infected, or other issues are happening, and recommend appropriate treatment at that time.

Most emergency rooms that I am aware of might prescribe antibiotics, but will not provide the appropriate treatment to rid you of the sources of your tooth-related infections.  They will usually refer you back to your dentist, unless your hospital has a dental residency program where their students might treat you and learn from your case.  And emergency room costs are astronomical.  If your health plan decides that your problem did not require a visit to the emergency room, you will be required to pay the bills.

FIRST: Call your dentist immediately and tell him that your tooth is still throbbing, and you have swelling in areas that surround your tooth.  Allow him to figure out what's going on.

THEN let me know how you are doing.

And again, I apologize profusely for the delay.  

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.