Dentistry/tooth turning grey, very sensitive to temperature

Question
Hello,
The fifth tooth on my upper left jaw suddenly started to hurt about 5 months ago, even if i'd breathe with my mouth open in cold weather. It hurts when I eat anything thats cold. (does not get affected by hot things). Today it seemed slightly greyer than the adjacent tooth. I have had other fillings, but never had a problem with this tooth. What could be wrong? Im really really scared of getting a root canal, and hence, im avoiding the dentist altogether!

Answer
I could not tell you what treatment you will need without seeing you. Most likely it is your not seeing the dentist that is the reason your tooth has become as bad as it is. You had better get a hold of yourself and go see a dentist to find out what needs to be done.  

Dentistry

Frederick R. Liewehr DDS, MS, FICD