Dentistry/2nd Alveoplasty

QUESTION: On Jan. 7, 2013, I had a 2nd alveoplasty.  The throbbing pain continues in the area all over gum over no. 11 (where synthetic bone was placed around 2007(???)  The pain travels in the gum area, on the left side of my face, up thru my left nostril, & near it.  I cannot sleep; it is constant day/night.  I cannot get help from oral surgeons in the Pgh., PA area.  Can you help me?

ANSWER: Sandra -  It is a little difficult for me to determine the cause without examining you, but some develop a continuing inflammatory process after the use of synthetic bone.  Is that what's occurring?  I don't know.  

First of all, what type of doctor did the alveoplasty and what was the reason?  What specifically was the synthetic bone used.  Was this second alveoplasty is the exact same spot as the first?  Get back to me.

Let me know where in PA you live and I will try to find doctors close to help you.

QUESTION: An oral surgeon(not Board Cert.) did the 2nd alveoplasty because synthetic bone protruding over no. 11 area because partials did not fit & was irritating gums.  It is inflammatory.  Dr. Gretz, Sr. opened up entire area instead of just above no. 11.  I had a panoramic x-ray.  He thought there may be a cyst.  No cyst.  What type of synthetic bone was used?  I don't know because Dr. Steve Kaltman, Davies, FL will not reply to my corres.  He used to be in Pgh.  I live in Donora, PA, 25 mi. south of Pgh.  I am willing to travel, but I cannot go to UPMC, Dental School.  Can you please help me?

Sandra -  there happen to be a number of board certfied oral and maxillofacial surgeons in Greensburg.  The follow are those doctors.

1) Dr. Michael Buckley - (724) 837-7770

2) Dr. Richard McNerny - (724) 836-6631

3) Dr. Robert Queale - (724) 837-7770

So contact one of the above for a evaluaton.  I wish you well and hope everything turns out well.  If you have more questions in the future, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude