Dentistry/air abrasion

Hi Dr. Spindel,
-What do you think about the new micro-dentistry technique that uses air abrasion to prepare teeth for fillings?  Advertised as,'Minimally invasive, with reduced risk of chipping & fractures, requiring less anesthesia, and quicker & quieter', it sounds like a better alternative to the traditional metal drill.
-I also wonder about its use of aluminum particles, sprayed towards tooth surfaces. Is using a rubber dam, eye wear, and suctioning adequate protection for the patient? (Since aluminum exposure is a risk factor for Alzheimer's).

Dear Mary

Air abrasion has been around for a while. It's use has decreased in popularity since it is messy and their is some concern about the aluminum particles. I think if it is used properly it is safe, but for  those looking for a drill free experience, now dentists have lasers that they can use for small cavity preparations. The problem is that drills are still probably the best way to make extensive preparations that need precise shaping (crown preparations for example) I must confess that I personally have not used air abrasion or a laser to cut teeth, so I am not an expert in their use.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics