Dentistry/Amount of acrylic for Partial denture

Dr.Kong, I have a 5 month old cast metal lower partial denture. It hardly at all has any acrylic covering all the metal, so I feel like I got ripped off, and my gums are red and inflamed. How much should the lab had put on this partial. The dentist said it is enough and your gums will just have to toughen up. They are so swelled up in the morning that I can hardly put it back in. Since he won't do anything, should I go to another dentist and see if he could place a permanent soft liner in my partial? Thanks

Dear Janice,

If your partials are causing you pain, your current dentist should adjust it so it doesn't cause you discomfort.  If he will not do anything to relieve you of the discomfort originating from the partial, you should find another dentist who can.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts and gum grafts.

My practice focuses in the field of periodontics and dental implants. I enjoy working with dental specialists to coordinate full mouth reconstructions and cosmetic dentistry.

American Academy of Periodontology, American Board of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association, Queens County Dental Association

BA - Wesleyan University, DDS - SUNY Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine, Certificate in Periodontics - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey