Dentistry/Nose widening with palatal expander

roni wrote at 2013-04-02 21:06:28
Thank you for your reply. Mid may will be about the time I stopped turning the palate expander. It stayed in to hold the space for about 7 week after that. It looks like her top jaw has relapsed quite a bit but facial features are the same. About how long would it take for any facial changes to relapse? Is there still hope?

Also, I did talk to the ortho about my feelings again since my original post and brought before and after pictures. I felt he was insensitive to my concerns. Unfortunately I paid in full and now still have another year for treatment ahead of us.  

roni wrote at 2013-04-03 12:41:47
Also, would it be true that her cheek area is wider as well? I honestly saw such a dramatic change in her mid face section after the palate expander was removed. They did over expander her to make room for crowding although I just wasn't expecting such a dramatic change in her appearance. She had a RPE. The ortho basically said the expander only widens the top of her mouth and not her cheek etc. and that what I see is her naturally changing, although based on the timing and significant change - I feel otherwise. This just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Her face appears to be much rounder, broader through the mid section. So it's been about a year now...I am really hoping it still has time to relapse ? but am not very optimistic. Sorry for all the you can see I am concerned and taken back by this experience which I thought would be more of an exciting time...nor was I planning for any type of surgery.  

ryan wrote at 2014-02-09 19:55:37
A wider face and cheek bones is a good thing. It will make her more attractive.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude