You are here:

Dentistry/Help with Jaw


QUESTION: Hello I am 24 years old Male and for about a year now I have been experiencing a clicking or popping noise when I yawn. This is how it all started. About a year ago I had yawned and my mouth stuck open for a few seconds and wouldn't close. Then finally after a few seconds I was able to close my mouth. Since that has happened I noticed that when I yawn I hear a clicking or popping noise. I am deeply concerned if somehow I may have dislocated my jaw or misaligned my face from this experience. I would like to know what doctor, dentist or specialist I should see to find out if my jaw or face has been dislocated or misaligned in anyway and the best expert to correct those problems if any. Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: I suggest you see a board certified Oral Surgeon.  This is a specialty trained to deal with your problem.

Larry Burnett DDS

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Hello I have tried to make appointments to see oral surgeons in my area, I'm in Orlando and all of them tell me they don't see patients with TMJ or Jaw Pain issues. They just refer me to a regular dentist who specializes in facial pain. I'm not sure what I should do now, any help?

ANSWER: I suggest you re-post your question along with my answer and your follow up.  There are several dentists who work in this area including a well qualified oral surgeon.  I'm sorry I couldn't give you more definitive help, but this is beyond my area of expertise.

Larry Burnett DDS

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply, if you could kindly give me the name of the qualified oral surgeon who is in my area, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

I was not clear. I don't know any Oral Surgeons in your area.  I meant to say there is a well qualified Oral Surgeon on this dental experts list.  His name is Dr. Joel Teig.  If you re-post your question and follow up to him on this experts list, I think he will be helpful.  I suspect he will also be able to refer you to an Oral Surgeon in your area for further help.

Larry Burnett DDS


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Larry Burnett DDS


Preventative Dentistry. Conservative Periodontal Therapy


National lecturer on conservative treatment of periodontal diseases and elimination of tooth decay. Former adjunct professor of oral microbiology at a Leading school of dental hygiene. Former investigator for State Board of Dentistry. Retired from private dental practice.


RDH Magazine. Numerous articles

Graduate of Medical College of VA School of Dentistry. 20 years teaching hygienists at NOVA

©2017 All rights reserved.