Dentistry/Jaw Help

Question
Hello I am 24 years old Male and for about a year now I have been experiencing a clicking or popping noise when I yawn. This is how it all started. About a year ago I had yawned and my mouth stuck open for a few seconds and wouldn't close. Then finally after a few seconds I was able to close my mouth. Since that has happened I noticed that when I yawn I hear a clicking or popping noise. I am deeply concerned if somehow I may have dislocated my jaw or misaligned my face from this experience. I would like to know what doctor, dentist or specialist I should see to find out if my jaw or face has been dislocated or misaligned in anyway and the best expert to correct those problems if any. Thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Randy,

You should seek someone who is proficient with occlusion and TMJ.   Unfortunately there is no such thing as a TMJ specialist.  Orthodontists, Prosthodontists, Periodontists, Oral Surgeons all dabble with aspects of occlusion and/or TMJ, but your best bet in my experience is someone who is a 'Pankey' trained.  Just google "Pankey Dentist" to find a list of doctors in your area.

-Dr.Kong

Dentistry

John Kong, DDS, www.betterlivingdentistry.com