Dentistry/Jaw Issues

Question
Hello I am 24 years old Male and for about a year now I have been experiencing a clicking or popping noise when I yawn. This is how it all started. About a year ago I had yawned and my mouth stuck open for a few seconds and wouldn't close. Then finally after a few seconds I was able to close my mouth. Since that has happened I noticed that when I yawn I hear a clicking or popping noise. I am deeply concerned if somehow I may have dislocated my jaw or misaligned my face from this experience. I would like to know what doctor, dentist or specialist I should see to find out if my jaw or face has been dislocated or misaligned in anyway and the best expert to correct those problems if any. Thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Randy,

You probably did dislocate your jaw when it locked open.  This usually happens when the lower jaw subluxates, or passes beyond its physiologic range of motion, but remains inside its joint capsule.  When this happens, the ligaments that keep the lower jaw from moving beyond its range of motion are over-stretched, and can become painful and strained.  Sometimes the meniscus inside the jaw joint can become deranged, or moved into a different location than it was meant to be in.

Your first visit should be to your dentist for a thorough examination.  Tell him/her what you told me.  If your dentist is not equipped to respond to your issues, he/she will guide you to the appropriate specialist, should you need one.  Generally, this would be an Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon.  

Let me know what you find out.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO