Dentistry/Joint Poppoing/Clicking

Question
Hello, I developed a clicking of a joint near my ear every time I swallow. It is not the same exact second I swallow but about 1 or 2 seconds after so it cannot be the eustachian tube. I feel it around the ear area. I don't think its TMJ because I do not feel any pain just the annoying click sound. Is there anything you recommend hot compress, cold/ice compress, massages, vitamins,drinks? Thanks for your help.

Answer
What makes you think it is not TMJ?  Just because there is no pain does not exclude the possibility of it being TMJ.

The symptom that you describe with the clicking of your joint near your ear, is classic TMJ.

I am going to recommend that you see a dentist who primarily treats TMJ.  I want you to see somebody who treats TMJ, every single day he goes to his office.  You may have to do a little bit of calling around, networking, asking friends or family who they have seen that is good and primarily treats TMJ.  You can try looking for "oral and maxillofacial surgeons".

It has been my experience that 100% of all dentists know a little bit about TMJ, and enough to take a crack at it and try and treat you.  But that is not good enough.   And not to belabor the point....do your homework and find the right person.

Also take a look at some of the previous answers I have written to questions here at all experts.com.  This whole find the right dentist thing is a pet peeve of mine and there definitely is additional advise I have provided on prior questions.

Until, you get to your first dentist appointment, try not to eat anything too crunchy.  Do not chew gum.  If possible, try and talk less.

I wish you success in finding a solution to your popping and clicking issues.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble