Dentistry/Joint Poppoing/Clicking

Hello, I developed a clicking of a joint near my ear every time I swallow. It is not the same exact second I swallow but about 1 or 2 seconds after so it cannot be the eustachian tube. I feel it around the ear area. I don't think its TMJ because I do not feel any pain just the annoying click sound. Is there anything you recommend hot compress, cold/ice compress, massages, vitamins,drinks? Thanks for your help.

What makes you think it is not TMJ?  Just because there is no pain does not exclude the possibility of it being TMJ.

The symptom that you describe with the clicking of your joint near your ear, is classic TMJ.

I am going to recommend that you see a dentist who primarily treats TMJ.  I want you to see somebody who treats TMJ, every single day he goes to his office.  You may have to do a little bit of calling around, networking, asking friends or family who they have seen that is good and primarily treats TMJ.  You can try looking for "oral and maxillofacial surgeons".

It has been my experience that 100% of all dentists know a little bit about TMJ, and enough to take a crack at it and try and treat you.  But that is not good enough.   And not to belabor the your homework and find the right person.

Also take a look at some of the previous answers I have written to questions here at all  This whole find the right dentist thing is a pet peeve of mine and there definitely is additional advise I have provided on prior questions.

Until, you get to your first dentist appointment, try not to eat anything too crunchy.  Do not chew gum.  If possible, try and talk less.

I wish you success in finding a solution to your popping and clicking issues.

Best Regards,
Patient Point of View

Jonathan at PatientBabble

My area of expertise from the patients point of view would be TMJ plus the speech challenges that these jaw and bite problems sometimes represent. Over the years I have seen a multitude of dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, speech therapists, neurologists and other health professionals who all had an opinion about my bite problem. I am not a doctor, but would purely be a patients point of view type person. I "get it" when people say they tried to explain to their dentist what their bite problem is and that they are misunderstood. I can listen to people's trials and tribulations and there is a good chance I have been down that road before. I can make suggestions as to what people can do at home, or what questions to ask their doctor or dentist when they visit. ////// I come from a family of dentists. My first house growing up was one of those residential/dentist combination homes and I was around the dental practice all the time. My teeth had always been perfect, and in many respects they still are. I have never had a cavity and my teeth are straight. About 25 years ago, I had my wisdom teeth out and since then my bite has never felt "normal." I have learned a lot over the years as I tried to figure out my problem from the Dentists, Speech Pathologists and assorted doctors that I have visited. I will try and recall information or experiences that may be helpful to you.

Twenty-Five years ago after my wisdom teeth were removed, my bite did not feel right and then had trouble speaking. For whatever reason, the first sensation I remember was not that my bite was off.....but rather that my normal tongue and speech patterns had been impeded. The years of searching for proper treatment has underscored the importance of understanding the relationship between dental and speech methodologies.///// To this end, and to further my research, I recently attended the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention (ASHA) in Atlanta. At ASHA I learned about a specialty within Speech Pathology termed “Orofacial Myology”. In laymen's terms Orofacial Myology Disorder (OMD) deals with the establishment of correct functional activities of the tongue, lips and jaw. OMD is a motor speech disorder that impacts the normal flow of speech, chewing or swallowing.///// If you believe that your struggles with your teeth also present speech, chewing or swallowing challenges, you may want to seek out a licensed Speech Language Pathologist.....preferably one that has training with Orofacial Myology Disorder.

Project Management Institute

Abridged Version of a Letter I Sent to a Health Care Professional (3/14/13): "..In my early 20's I had my wisdom teeth out. Almost immediately within a few days, something did not feel right in my mouth. I had trouble speaking. When I raised my tongue to try and touch my palate, I felt mostly just teeth. It is very cumbersome to talk and my bite also became a little bit off. If feels almost as if someone put a fork in my mouth and said "now try and speak." Very difficult. My articulation is fine, so to an observer I sound normal. But it takes a monumental effort, so I hate situations like talking on the phone or when somebody asks me to "tell them a story." ..I spent years going to different dentists, who lumped me into their generic version of what they knew about TMJ. They just automatically gravitate to what they have heard about TMJ and assume I am either stressed, or just imagining it. Years later, I look back at all those dentists and doctors and I am amazed at how little they really knew about my condition. I have seen the best dentists, including my dad who is a Orthodontist in New York, to TMJ Dentists in Atlanta and Florida. No one ever suggested that Speech Pathology may be a direction I should explore. ..And I was frustrated by the fact that several MRI's over the years, showed nothing. How could the MRI’s show nothing, and at the same time, I know something does not feel right? I do wear a night guard to sleep in, but it does not fix the trouble that I have when I try to talk. ..I went with a Speech Pathologist friend of mine to the American Speech Language Hearing (ASHA) Convention last October in Atlanta...There was a Speech Pathologist at ASHA who was saying that sometimes when you have your Wisdom Teeth taken out "late" that it could possibly cause damage to the Trigeminal Nerve and surrounding muscles.” POSTSCRIPT: At ASHA, I discovered OROFACIAL MYOLOGY (OMD) which is a specialty in Speech Pathology that addresses Oral Muscular Issues.

College Graduate with Bachelor of Arts Degree, Project Management Professional, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist