Dentistry/Need dentures/On disability

Question
After growing up in an abusive home and forced out on my own at age 16 my relationship with my mouth was never healthy.  Finances to maintain were also not available. I am now 56 and have about 16 teeth left.  Only one is a molar.  After years on psychotropic medications and having just come off a year ago of 3 years of benzodiazapines and opiates for autoimmune disease the few teeth I have left are now black at the gumline from decay.  I used to have the biggest full mouth smile.  I can not smile anymore.  Life and now this has taken its toll on me.  My self esteem is in the pits, I can't get a job with rotten teeth.  I don't even want to look at people any more. I am so ashamed of my mouth.  I used to be told how beautiful my smile was.  I can't even look at old pictures that show my used to be smile.  I have always worked at helping others.  My degree from U of F is in Elementary Education and I did child protective investigations, senior care, Life, Health and Annuity sales and Real Estate Sales.  Those are no longer options with out a smile.  I need the help now.  Can you find some one to help. I am on disability and can barely pay my bills.  Thank you for reading this.  It is so sad there is not help for those of us who did not get what we needed through life.  I used to be a cheerleader in high school.  Now I sit on the bench of life.  I hope to hear from you.  Thank you so much.

Answer
Dear Kathleen,

Oh boy.  I'm sorry to hear about your early life circumstance.  No child should have to live in an abusive situation.  It is horrifying how many do.  I know.  My daughter has an MSW and is a Behavior Specialist in Broward County Schools.  There is no end to the horror.

I'm glad to hear you got out both alive and reasonably well.

There is help for you.  Your first steps will be to contact your local, county and state dental associations.  They may know of the right places for you to go.  If not, then contact your social worker.  There are usually county dental clinics that provide free or very low-fee dental treatment for patients.  In my county, there is one not far from my office.  If this doesn't help, contact the dental assisting and dental hygiene programs in the community colleges in your county.  They will often have clinics in which they train their students, and may make you dentures for very low or no fees.  Then there is Donated Dental Services.  They accept patients on an as-needed basis, if and when they have volunteer dentists.  Lastly, there are the dental colleges at UF in Gainesville and at Nova SEU in Davie.  These do provide a wide array of care, but do charge reduced fees.  They may make arrangements with your social services agency to help with payment.

So, to summarize, this is the order of your investigation:

1. Local, county, state dental association
2. Your social worker or your social services agancy
3. County dental or health clinic
4. Community colleges dental assisting or hygiene programs
5. Donated Dental Services.
6. Dental colleges at UF or Nova SEU.

Please let me know how your search goes.  And good luck.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO