Dentistry/oromaxillary fistula repair not healing

My husband had a flap repair done and it has still not taken care of the problem.  What is the next step to close this hole in his mouth.  
He had his teeth removed and when the one came out it created a massive hole which leaked air between the nose and mouth.  He was sent to an oral surgeon who put the flap repair in.  It has been over five weeks, it will start to close and then it comes open again.  The oral surgeon said it was the largest hole he has seen.  My husband was fitted for dentures two weeks after this surgery and when we just went to the denturist he put a liner on the dentures and the liner went into the hole and is now irritating the hole so my husband can't wear his dentures at all.  Air is going through the hole and we are not sure what to do.
How do we get the hole fixed?

He needs to see an ENT surgeon. If they still say that the hole could not be close then he'll be referred to a Maxillofacial Prosthodontist who should be able to fabricate what's know as an obturator to close that hole. It should be something that you're able to wear because in that case your husband will be wearing it for the rest of his life.

Hope this answers your question.
Dr. Elsafi

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP

I am a board-certified Maxillofacial Prosthodontist. I do head and neck prosthetic reconstruction for patients with congenital and acquired defects. This also includes trauma and cancer patients. I can answer questions about prosthetic rehabilitation of the head and neck area. I am also a board-certified prosthodontist and can answer questions about dental reconstruction including crowns, bridges, veneers, partial and complete dentures and implant restorations. I can also answer questions about TMJ problems. I can not answer about surgical reconstruction.

I am a board-certified prosthodontist and maxillofacial prosthodontist and have been practicing denitstry for over 15 years.

American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics. American College of Prosthodontists.

I received my dental degree from University of Southern California. I did my prosthodontics residency at University of Florida and my maxillofacial prosthetics fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Chief Fellow at MD Anderson Cancer Center.