Dentistry/pain after tooth extraction

I had a lower tooth extracted recently and it seems to be healing well. After gently chewing food on the other side of my mouth I have severe pain about an hour later.   This pain lasts for hours and regular pain killers do nothing to help it. I first suspected that an adjacent tooth was disturbed by the extraction and causing the pain. This adjacent tooth had root canal treatment and is crowned. After doing some research on line I am wondering if this pain could be from nerve damage or a jaw fracture caused by the extraction. To complicate matters I have several autoimmune diseases and some sort of neuralgia in my face that does not cause me very much of a problem .  I am 55 years old.

Marlene -  I am so sorry to hear about what you are enduring.  It is important that you have a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon evaluate you.  What you are describing could be from adjoining teeth or it could be from other injuries to the area.  It is important that you have a local board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon evaluate soon.

If you need the names of appropriate doctors near you, get back to me, let me know where you live and I will send you names of doctors near you.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude