Dentistry/Partial Reline Info

Question
Dr. I need to have my lower cast metal partial relined, and wanted to know if the dentist removes some of the acrylic over the metal, before he takes the impression, or does he just take the impression, and there will be more acrylic over the old acrylic? Thank You!!

Answer
it depends on how much room we have to work with. we usually leave plastic in there. we can easily get a plastic to plastic bond. a reline is done to make things fit better onto the gum surface so that is the only surface that needs the resin to bond. the outside with the teeth needs to be left alone. sometimes we can do a reline right in the mouth without an impression. sometimes we take an impression and send it to the lab to have them do it. you can discuss options with your dentist. he/she will tell you which way will work the best. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Dentistry

Jeff Dalin DDS