I had a porcelain bridge removed because it was chipped and loose and had it replaced with a 6 tooth zirconia bridge. Instead of 6 teeth, it was turned into 7 teeth. I had it placed and said I would try it out. Now I want it removed because it looks fake and I want it replaced with the 6 tooth zirconia bridge I wanted originally. The doctor who did the work was making excuses of how hard it would be to remove the zirconia, and the problems he will encounter. I am afraid to let him re-do the work because he may cause more damage that will cost me more. I already paid him for the work and in lieu of going to a new dentist, I want him to do it. What tools are required to remove a zirconia bridge?

Dear Tiara,

If you told the dentist that you noticed there was an extra tooth on your bridge, then said you'd be willing to try it, I would hope that your dentist would have used temporary cement.  This would make your bridge easily removable.

If your dentist used permanent cement, then he would likely have to cut off the zirconia.  Zirconia is both very hard and vey resilient, makking it very difficult to cut off.  It is a very arduous and time consuming process,  He will need to use the same instruments that he used to prepare your bridge, but he will use more of them, and it will take about twice as long.

So please be sure that losing the extra tooth is important enough to you that you want to go through this process.

And hope that there is temporary cement under your bridge.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.