Dentistry/Root Canal

Question
Good morning, Doctor.  
I had a root canal many years ago on a tooth right next to my front teeth, and recently the glue gave way and the tooth came out.  It is a false tooth with a metal stem that I can reinsert but is not properly affixed without the glue.  I was able to procure the glue from a friend who had some extra that her husband didn't need.  However, my question is can you give me instructions as to how to reinstall the tooth with the glue?  How do I clean the area in my gum before reinstalling the tooth?  Does it need to be dry?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Answer
Margie - It is a big mistake for you to even attempt to recement the crown yourself.  Even a slight difference from a normal seating can jeopardize the tooth and can stimulate jaw muscle spasms from an uneven bite.  In addition, cement can go under the gums and cause infections.

My suggestion is to just go to your dentist.  If nothing is really wrong there, it should be simple for the dentist.  If, however, the tooth coming out was do to a degeneration of the tooth, recementing it can cause the tooth to die

So do yourself a favor and see the dentist.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired