Dentistry/Root Canal

Good morning, Doctor.  
I had a root canal many years ago on a tooth right next to my front teeth, and recently the glue gave way and the tooth came out.  It is a false tooth with a metal stem that I can reinsert but is not properly affixed without the glue.  I was able to procure the glue from a friend who had some extra that her husband didn't need.  However, my question is can you give me instructions as to how to reinstall the tooth with the glue?  How do I clean the area in my gum before reinstalling the tooth?  Does it need to be dry?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Margie - It is a big mistake for you to even attempt to recement the crown yourself.  Even a slight difference from a normal seating can jeopardize the tooth and can stimulate jaw muscle spasms from an uneven bite.  In addition, cement can go under the gums and cause infections.

My suggestion is to just go to your dentist.  If nothing is really wrong there, it should be simple for the dentist.  If, however, the tooth coming out was do to a degeneration of the tooth, recementing it can cause the tooth to die

So do yourself a favor and see the dentist.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude