Dentistry/Root fracture

Question
I have a fracture root that's causing a inflamation on the cheek and on the bones around the tooth. I was told that the best solution would be to extract the tooth, however due to the inflamation , I should wait until the infection is gone. i was prescribed moxxcillin 3 x a day (500mg). It's been 24 hours since I started with the antibiotics, but and the infection seems only increasing. Should I wait until the infection is gone before remove the tooth? Should the pus be drained?

Answer
Hi George,
It usually takes 48 hours for an antibiotic to hit it's max effectiveness.  So after 2 days of the antibiotics, I would have the tooth extracted.  After the tooth is extracted, the main source of the infection is gone and the area will heal faster.

Best of Luck,
KG Amin,DMD

Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Dentistry

Ketan Amin, DMD