Dentistry/Sensitivity to hot/cold

Hello - I had a filling replaced in one of my lower molars about 1.5 months ago.  Recently, I have been having a lot of sensitivity to hot and cold on that tooth.  I get the pain when I drink something.  However, I am able to chew gum with no problem and I do not get any sensitivity.  I have tried sensitive toothpaste but doesn't seem to help.  Does this seem normal or does it seem more on the lines of a root canal?  I do have an appt scheduled with my dentist but I cannot get in for 3 weeks due to my work schedule and being out of town.  Thank you.

Dear Karisa,
the sensitivity you describe to temperature changes indicates that the nerve in the tooth is irritated following the dental procedure. This is not uncommon , it generally goes away after a few weeks. You may find that by the time you get to see your dentist it has disappeared.
Hope this helps a bit, all the best,
Dr. Moss

Stephen J. Moss

I am a professor emeritus at New York University, with a background that includes extensive research, scientific writing and biology. I also am an international consultant in health education, particularly in developing education on new science for health professionals and consumers. I am a past president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, former head of the NYU Division of Oral Biology and I represent the World Dental Federation at the United Nations. I travel around the world to provide health education to professionals and consumers.

Having retired from New York Universit, where I directed the pediatric dentistry training program, a walk-in dental clinic and research on oral biology, I formalized my professional and consumer health education initiative in the form of Health Education Enterprises. This entity consults and provides information on new science pertaining to oral and general health, particularly leading edge concepts that can be employed in the health professions to improve the public's health. As such, I am an expert in communicating new science and its usefulness to professional and lay audiences alike. I also had a pediatric dentistry practice in New York City for nearly 30 years.

I am affiliated with the American Dental Association, the World Dental Federation, the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry among other formal organizations. My experience has included a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and work at the Forsythe Dental Research Center

lpha Omegan USA, Nowa Stomatologia Poland, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, The Journal of the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry USA, News Bulletin Japan, Journal of Marmara University Dental Faculty Turkey, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry Italy, Asian Dentist Singapore, The Journal of the Israel Dental Association Israel, ROBRAC Brazil, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Italy, FDI World, STOMA Portugal, Pediatric Dentistry The Philippines, Modern Stomatology Bulgaria, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry India

I obtained a doctor of dental science (DDS) degree, a master of science degree and am a board certified pediatric dentist.