Dentistry/sinus perforation

I had my upper left molar (#15 I think) extracted this morning by my oral surgeon.  It involved some grinding of broken roots and the bleeding stopped fairly quickly.  Now, however, I have an apparent hole in the tooth socket which draws air both in and out of the sinus cavity. What can I do to preclude complications with the sinus while waiting for it to heal?

Jim -  Hopefully the surgeon knows about the opening into the sinus, if not, you should immediately contact him and advise him.  Now what should you do.  Do not blow your nose!!!!!
If you sneeze, do it with your mouth open.  Begin a gentle warm salt water rinse of the area a few times a day.  Try to chew on the other side of your face.  All of these are important to facilitate healing, but the surgeon needs to constantly and frequently exam you to evaluate healing.  

Do not wait!! Call the surgeon now.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude