Dentistry/sinus perforation

Question
I had my upper left molar (#15 I think) extracted this morning by my oral surgeon.  It involved some grinding of broken roots and the bleeding stopped fairly quickly.  Now, however, I have an apparent hole in the tooth socket which draws air both in and out of the sinus cavity. What can I do to preclude complications with the sinus while waiting for it to heal?

Answer
Jim -  Hopefully the surgeon knows about the opening into the sinus, if not, you should immediately contact him and advise him.  Now what should you do.  Do not blow your nose!!!!!
If you sneeze, do it with your mouth open.  Begin a gentle warm salt water rinse of the area a few times a day.  Try to chew on the other side of your face.  All of these are important to facilitate healing, but the surgeon needs to constantly and frequently exam you to evaluate healing.  

Do not wait!! Call the surgeon now.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired