Dentistry/Tooth extractions and headaches?

Question
February 27, 2013 i had 10 teeth pulled and a partial denture made for me. Now since then i have had a continuous migraine that refuses to go. im not sure if they are related but i had 5 of my front top teeth pulled, 2 molars on the top, one tooth on the right side of my top teeth and 2 bottom molars. now im on blood thinners so i can only limit what medicines i can take. so i have been taking Tylenol and with no relief. could all the dental work i had preformed cause this awful migraine? and should i go see my doctor for the pain?

Answer
Corey - Of course, I cannot be totally sure without examining you, but what you are describing is a fairly common reaction to have a number of teeth extracted and tooth replacements made.  Often the bite is changed, even though the partial is supposed to replace the teeth, if the vertical dimensions have changed, the jaw muscles often go into spasm.  This series of spasms can produce headaches in the temple region. It can also cause tightness opening and closing the mouth and some even get a stiff neck.

My suggestion and one that will have no effect on the blood thinners you use, is to immediately begin warm salt water rinses for about 2-3 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  If it gets better that means the muscles are the cause.  If so, the dentist needs to adjust the partial denture to regain the vertical dimensions you had before the extractions.

Try the warm salt water.  Let me know how it goes.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired