My three month old son had a tooth coming in, in an abnormal place and position. It is coming in on the top left side more towards the back by where his first or second molar would come in. Not only that it is coming out the side of his gums and not down like any normal tooth would. It is pointy and scratches the side of his cheek. His father and I can tell this is bothering him and he is having symptoms any other child would have during the teething period. Please help with giving us some expert advise on what has caused this and if it something we should be worried about. Thanks

This is an unusual situation that will require an examination and possibly some x-rays to determine an answer to your questions.  That is a rather difficult prospect for a three month old infant.  I would suggest you have him seen by a pediatric dentist for a first examination.  X-rays and answers may have to wait until he is a little older but that can be determined by the dentist once your son is seen.  There is nothing particularly alarming that comes to mind at this time so there is no reason to be worried.

Dr. Randolph Myerson

Please limit your inquiry to questions about orthodontics (braces) and children's dentistry. I am both an Orthodontist and a Pediatric Dentist, having been trained in both of these dental specialty fields. Orthodontics is the dental specialty that treats problems of tooth, bite and jaw alignment using braces and removable appliances. Pediatric Dentistry is the dental specialty also known as dentistry for children, which deals specifically with the dental problems of this special age group from infants to adolescents. I am also experienced in Forensic Dentistry, the application of dentistry to law enforcement and identification using dental records.

I have been in the private practice of orthodontics and pediatric dentistry for over 20 years. Prior to that I served for three years on the Cleft Palate and Cranio-facial Reconstruction team at Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia and was an Assistant Professor of Dentistry at University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. I also served as a dentist in the U.S.Air Force, stationed at Andrews AFB in Washington, DC.

I am a Fellow in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and a member of the American Association of Orthodontics, as well as a member of the American Dental Association and the Dental Society of the State of New York.

I received my BA in Biology from Frankin & Marshall College in 1969, and my dental degree from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1973. In 1978 I received both my Certificate in Orthodontics from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, and my Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry from Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia after completing a three year Teaching Fellowship in Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry in 1978.