Dentistry/Calcified root

Question
Had second part of root canal therpy today, on a replacement crown that i had done last month. Was told one root was calcified at bottom and wouldn't desolve.  The treatment was finished with bottom of the canal of the tooth calcified.  Was told it should not be a issue and that it was a common occurrence.   I am going to have a permanent filling put on it tomorrow.  Does this sound acceptable? With a lower calcified bottom half of a root?

Answer
Good morning Vera,

I'm sorry all this is going on. When a root calcifies, it's a response of the pulp(nerve) of the tooth to some form of irritation. It could be a large filling or crown, decay or a history of trauma. When the canal closes down, it can really be impossible to reach the end of the tooth. When that happens, there are really only two options...do the best you can and hope all will be well or extract the tooth. In most cases, things will work. You didn't say which tooth this was, but should there be problems in the future, it may be possible to do surgery on the end of the root to seal it from the other end. You also didn't mention if this was done by an endodontist or a general dentist. If it would make you feel betetr, you might get a 2nd opinion from an endodontist if it was your family dentist who did the root canal. Sometimes general dentists get into situations that are hard for them and might be able to be done by a specialist.

Bottom line is, at this point, you just really need to have periodic checks of this tooth with X-rays to make sure the root canal is healing and not developing problems.....probably 6 months from now and then annually when you get a check up. Your chances are good there will be no problems, but it is certainly a question mark.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD