Dentistry/class 3 bite

Hi I was just wondering what some of the common treatments are  for a patient with a severe class 3 bite... where his/or her lower jaw slides to far forward?

And what type of dentist usually treats this?

Dear Gary,
    There are two available options for your situation:

1) Go see a prosthodonist, have your bite properly evaluated and have the prosthodontist fabricate a proper orthodontic device, (nightgard) to protect yor teeth from the damage of grinding at night that a class 3 bite lends itself to. Keep good oral hygiene and proper maintenance and do nothing else.
2) Speak to your prosthodontist about a referral to an orthodontist and an oral surgeon for orthognathic surgery workup. You will have to wear braces for a period of time, go through corrected jaw surgery to set your jaws into the proper position, then continue with braces for a while and eventually have a few restorations (crowns) made to make your bite ideal and as desired.
Option 2 is a far more costly and is an involved procedure that has to be carefully considered. This is why your first step in either situation is to go see a prosthodontist who is the specialist in restorative cosmetic and implant denstry.

Best of Luck,
         Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.