Dentistry/Dentures

Question
I am mother is 83 years old. She has undergone treatment for getting whole new set of dentures for both upper and lower teeth. After the treatment her upper one fits fine, but the lower one comes out every now and then especially while eating. Her dentist says that she needs to wait 1 year before he can try to fix it, since for the next year her jaw and gums would change in size. To me 1 year seems to long, is there something that he would/should do to make the dentures fit now. Thank you

Answer
Jack - A new denture may need to be made, but during any healing state, a reline of the denture can regain stability.  A reline conforms to the anatomy very closely and allows the denture to fit.  This is not a permanent solution, but while awaiting for complete healing, relining the denture as needed is an accepted and successful way to insure a denture to fit much better.  

If the dentist does not want to reline, then your mother is being treated by the wrong doctor.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired